6 ways to improve fitness recovery without breaking the bank.
1. Get more sleep; we all know that sleep is essential, but did you realize it is when our muscles recover? People who exercise need even more rest than average, and sleep deprivation has been found to impair muscle recovery. The bottom line is, we need sleep, and lots of it. If you are not getting 8 hours, try going to bed 15 minutes earlier each night.
2. Rest day, not far off of sleep. Rest days allow the muscles a chance to recover. Taking 1,2, or even 3 rest days can help your gains/performance in the gym and improve your recovery time. Are you always sore and tired? Try adding in an extra rest day.
3. Get in carbs and protein before and after your workouts. A pre and post-workout snack containing carbs and protein can help increase muscle protein synthesis and recovery.
4. Hydration + Alcohol. Dehydration can impair your muscles’ ability to repair themselves. The American College of Sports Medicine recommends drinking 16 to 24 ounces four hours before exercising. Studies on US cyclists showed that consuming alcohol impaired their ability to replenish glycogen after endurance exercise. Alcohol also impairs protein synthesis in your muscles.
5. Massage: Who doesn’t love a good massage to relax? Massage can also reduce muscle soreness and improve flexibility.
6. Cold therapy. No, you don’t need to jump in the river after your workouts or buy an expensive cold plunge. Just turning your shower from warm to cold for 30 seconds a few times each shower can do the trick. Research says the best time for this is anytime after endurance exercise and 4 hours after strength workouts.
Now, you have six more tools to help you get the most out of your training and recovery. Are you looking to get the most out of your training? CrossFit Durst offers personal and group training in Brantford, Ontario. Click the link to book a free No Sweat Intro now; you will meet with a coach who will customize a program just for you.